The positive impact adults have on children’s growth, learning, and development is enhanced when they continue their own learning through Professional Development. Professional Development is offered for Early Care and Education Professionals working in Centers, Schools, and Family Child Care homes.
Child Development Associate (CDA)
9-week Accelerated Course: January 24-March 27, 9:00AM – 5:00PM Fridays and Saturdays at the Action for Children office.
A CDA is a national credential that educators working with children birth to 5 and their families, can earn by demonstrating their knowledge, skills and abilities in the early childhood education field. Action for Children offers a Gold Standard program to both center-based staff and home providers. Curious about the benefits and why you should consider a CDA?
- Advance your career
- Demonstrate your commitment to the ECE field
- Understand developmentally appropriate practices
- Increase your confidence
- Meet job and state wide requirements like SUTQ
- Scholarship available
- Potential to earn more money through POWER Ohio – Read more here
Action for Children’s Gold Standard program will prepare you to apply to the Council for Professional Recognition to earn your CDA! If you are interested in learning more or participating in this program please contact Tammy Freeman at 614-224-0222 ext. 101.
Pipeline for Early Childhood Educators
- Bachelor of Science in Education, Creative Pedagogies specialization (non-licensure)
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Early Childhood Education (licensure)
For more information, click here.
- Individuals with completed bachelor’s degree are not eligible for this opportunity
- Highest degree earned is associate’s degree
- Current or future employment in early childhood education (preschool, school, daycare, etc.)
- Commitment to work in Franklin county in early childhood for three years after graduation
- Must be an Ohio resident
Professional Development Trainings
Action for Children provides a wide variety of Professional Development opportunities through classes, special training events, networking opportunities, study groups and more. Information about Professional Development scheduled by Action for Children can be found on the Ohio Professional Registry. Nearly all training’s offered through Action for Children are Ohio Approved (SUTQ).
For additional information about Professional Development, please contact the Professional Development Coordinator at 614.224.0222, ext. 111, or email Karen Crockett.
Learn more about becoming part of the Ohio Professional Registry, or call the Ohio Child Care Resources and Referral Association (OCCRRA) at 614.396.5959.
When attending classes during business hours, visitors have a few parking options:
- City of Columbus monitored parking meters are available for use at visitors’ expense on Jefferson Ave. directly in front of our building with additional meters on the west side of Jefferson Ave. There are also a few public parking spaces on the Long St. bridge over I-71.
- Except for the two accessible spaces, participants are NOT permitted to park behind the building during business hours.
Please note that visitor parking in the Jefferson Avenue Center lot at the southwest corner of Long St. and Jefferson Ave. is no longer permitted during business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm).
For classes beginning 5:30 or later on weekdays and on Saturdays:
When attending classes that begin at 5:30pm or later on weekdays or on Saturdays, visitors have a few parking options:
- Visitors are welcome to park for FREE in the parking lot on the SW corner of Long St. & Jefferson Ave. Permits are required for this lot and can be printed from our website (see Parking in the “About” section at the bottom of our homepage).
- Limited free parking may be available Mondays-Thursdays after 5:30pm and on Saturdays, behind the Action for Children building. Please avoid parking directly behind other cars so that no one is blocked from exiting.
- Accessible Parking is located behind the Action for Children building near the back door.
- Parking at meters is also possible, at your own expense. There are meters directly in front of Action for Children, also a few public parking spaces on the Long St. bridge over I-71.
For evening and Saturday classes please enter our building through the back door.
The temperature in our classrooms sometimes fluctuates, so please dress in layers so that you will be comfortable. Please check in at front desk when you arrive. For classes that last all day, it is recommended that you bring a packed lunch.