Making a difference for Franklin County’s children.

Learn about: Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA)

Why work in child care?

At Action for Children, we aim to provide quality professional development experiences and helpful resources. Child care is important for many families and provides tools that prepare children for success. As an early child care educator, you have the unique opportunity to make a powerful impact in their communities by helping families and supporting children.

Working in child care offers:

  • Opportunity to make a difference for children and families
  • Great full-time and part-time schedule options
  • Scholarships and tuition assistance
  • Career growth potential

See open positions on the
Central Ohio Child Care Job Board


Emergency Rental Assistance

Emergency Rental Assistance applications are currently closed. We will update this page as more information becomes available regarding Franklin County RISE.

Franklin County RISE also establishes a dedicated $500,000 emergency rental assistance fund for child care staff, with an average of $3,000 in rental assistance payments per household.

Eligible applicants for ERA through Franklin County RISE must:

  • Be currently employed by a licensed child care program in Franklin County (must submit proof of employment for application)
  • Have a current written & signed rental lease agreement in Franklin County (no handwritten lease agreements will be accepted)
  • Meet income guidelines (please refer to chart in this document)
  • Be delinquent on rent or unable to make their next rent payment
  • Be able to provide evidence of hardship such as:
    • Underemployment or loss of hours
    • Received a past-due rent notice
    • Received an eviction notice on or After April 1st, 2020
    • Risk of experiencing homelessness
    • Reduction of income or increased household costs due to COVID-19
  • Applicants must provide proof of current employment at a licensed child care program in Franklin County. This document can be uploaded in the ID section along with your proof of ID. Acceptable documents include:
    • A copy of your ODJFS license that lists you as the owner if you are applying for assistance and you own a Type-B child care that you operate out of your residence
    • A copy of your current paystub that clearly states the name of the employed child care program or a letter from the owner or administrator on letterhead if you work for a child care Center or are an assistant to a Type-A child care program
  • Please review the FAQs before applying to answer frequently asked questions and to see what other supporting documents you will need to apply.
  • Please read our application guide before applying to see how to apply and avoid frequently missed steps in the application process.
  • Click here to start your ERA application online once you have read the two guidance documents above and have gathered your necessary documentation.
Contact or call 614-224-0222 Ext: 930 for questions or issues.


Franklin County RISE is funded by the Franklin County Board of Commissioners, and the City of Columbus, and administered by Action for Children.

If you are in need of interpreting services please contact us at to schedule a time.